February 9, 2015

When things don't go as planned...

Yesterday I had plans to spend the day with some friends from high school. They all live about an hour from me in the cities so it's just easier for me to drive to them. I don't mind driving. I actually really like driving. Driving gives me a chance to put my phone down, stop checking email and social media, and focus on just one thing. Driving. And, well, listening. I have started to really love podcasts. I wouldn't call myself any kind of expert in any area of life. Yet. But it's wondering to hear from the experts on topics of which I'm interested in. I've listened to Chalene Johnson, Brendon Burchard, Michael Stelzner and Michael Hyatt to name a few. As I was listening to a particularly interesting and uplifting episode yesterday on Michael Stelzner's Social Media Marketing podcast. I can't remember what the episode was called but the featured guest speaker aws a man by the name of Seth Godin. He talks about the book industry and what it's like to author a book these days. His latest book is titled What To Do When It's Your Turn and his marketing strategy for this book is very unique. Anyway, this blog post isn't about the book. Not directly. This post is about the things that happen in the universe. The words that Seth spoke during this interview with Michael Stelzner were engaging to say the least. I was hooked and I wanted to hear more! So I'm driving along the interstate and half-listening to my GPS, but I KNOW I didn't make a wrong turn. However my GPS had taken me 20 minutes out of the way and I was immediately frustrated. Dumb iPhone. I knew it was wrong. I turned around and made my way to where I needed to be and I tried really hard to find the silver lining to this situation. I was going to be late to my friends house but I remained positive. It wasn't a big deal.
The reason I bring any of this up is that I arrived at my friends house at the exact time the episode I was listening to ended. There was a reason I was supposed to get lost. I was supposed to get off track. I needed more time to hear the powerful words in the podcast episode. And now, I'm so glad I did. Today I went on Seth's website and purchased 3 books, a few to gift to others. Have you ever had something great come from something that started out not so great?

No comments

Post a Comment