October 8, 2014

Are we going about this the wrong way?

Does this sound like something you've ever experienced?

"It's Friday! I'm going to eat whatever I want this weekend because on Monday, I'm starting my diet!"
Monday comes and here is how it goes:

 I am SO ready to do this. I've tried dieting so many times but THIS time, I'm going to stick to it! I have a plan to stick to 1500 calories per day. Calories are calories, right? I'm just going to limit the amount of food I eat each day and exercise for at least 30 minutes per day. My first few days are going pretty good. I'm hungry but I'm sticking to it. I really want to lose those 25 lbs! After about 1 week in I start to question my ability to stick with it. This is HARD! How do people DO this?! I haven't seen much change in my body either and I am frustrated beyond belief. Friends invited me out to eat and I REALLY want to eat those cheese curds and french fries! Did Sally just order chicken wings?! Ugh! I WANT CHICKEN WINGS! My temptations get the best of me and I give in. Who needs stupid diets anyways. These wings are so tasty! I finish eating and the guilt starts to set it. I thought I was doing so good and there I go again, failing miserably. Maybe I'm not cut out for this diet and exercise thing. I will just eat what I want the rest of the week and then on Monday, I will start again.

There's a good chance that you have been in this position. Maybe you've tried dieting to lose weight, or to simply be healthier. No matter what the reason, DIETS DON'T WORK. Here is what is ACTUALLY happening in the above scenario:

Monday starts and I stop eating. Essentially, I stop fueling my body with what it needs to be able to sustain normal function. On top of that, I start exercising to burn calories. So I'm eating 1500 calories and burning 300, which leaves my body with 1200 calories to try to sustain itself. To top THAT off, I'm not actually giving my body the nutrients it needs. I'm eating low sugar, low fat foods that are sweetened with artificial crap and my body isn't thriving. I'm barely surviving. I feel sluggish, tired, irritable and I am craving everything I see! These are ALL signs of nutrient deficiency. THIS is why I gave in to the chicken wings. It's not that I didn't have will power. It's not that I couldn't stick it out. I'm not weaker than everyone else. I was STARVING myself!!

So, maybe we're going about this the wrong way. Maybe we need to STOP STARVING our bodies, and START fueling them! It's about feeling good and having energy. I have changed the way I look at nutrition and dieting. I have done a complete lifestyle change and I am a happier and healthier person because of it.

If you or someone you know could benefit from reading this, please share it! And if you or someone you know would like some tips or help with making these changes in their lives, leave a comment or message me. I'm here to help everyone I come across. All you need to do is ask. :)

No comments

Post a Comment