February 15, 2015

How to make grain-free muffins taste good


Grain free.

It's hard to get used to.

I've been experimenting with grain-free flours for a few months. I usually attempt a new recipe a few times a week, at most.  This morning I didn't have the energy to fight with the kids about choosing a healthy breakfast. (They love bagels and english muffins, unfortunately. And it's a fight to get them to eat something semi-healthy.) So I decided to cater to their wants and make muffins. They are skeptical about my grain-free cooking but I didn't tell them these were grain-free. And they LOVED them. So, I figured if they're kid-approved, they'll likely be approved by some of my internet family and friends. Let me know what you think!




Grain-free Maple-cinnamon muffins

Ingredients: 

2 cups almond flour
1 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs
1 cup almond milk
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
2 Tbsp coconut oil (melted)





Topping:
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp coconut sugar

Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper muffin liners OR use coconut oil to grease the muffin tin, instead of paper liners. (I do this and it works well. No sticking.)

In a large bowl, combine first 5 ingredients and mix well. In a smaller bowl, whisk eggs, then add almond milk, maple syrup and coconut oil and continue whisking until well mixed.  Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients. (Batter will be thicker than normal muffin batter.)  Spoon batter into muffin tins.

Mix topping ingredients in a small bowl and drizzle or spoon onto the muffins before baking.

Bake muffins for 22-25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

Enjoy!

No comments

Post a Comment