February 26, 2015

3 reasons why gym memberships don't work

In 2014 the annual gym and health club industry revenue was $21.8 BILLION dollars.

68.5% of American's are considered overweight or obese. Please don't misunderstand my message here. Obesity and weight gain are NOT the enemy. It's not about looks. It's not about fitting into a mold that society has created. But, it is a FACT, that obesity is linked to higher rates of heart disease, stroke and death. According to the National Institute of Health, obesity and overweight together are the 2nd leading cause of preventable death in the United States.

With such a large gym and health club industry, one would believe the rates of obesity would be lower. And here is where we find out WHY gym memeberships don't work.

  1. It's not about the workout. Only 20% of your success and results are coming from your workout. It is a well-known fact that you cannot outwork a bad diet. Good nutrition is ESSENTIAL to your success in weight loss and increased health.
  2. You're not actually working out. Of the 58 million people who have a gym membership, 67% of them never step foot in the gym. Of the remaining 33%, the average number of times per week that people with gym memberships actually GO to the gym, is two. Twice a week. The US Dept. of Health and Human services recommends at least 60 minutes per day of aerobic activity to meet the PAG (physical activity guidelines). Guess what? Your twice a week trip to the gym, just isn't cutting it. 
  3. Accountabilty. This is by far, the biggest reason that people fail. No one is keeping you accountable at the gym. It's just you, on your own. You need an accountability partner or a coach. The first couple of days with a new gym membership are exciting! The excitement wears off though, and that's when it gets tough. That is when you need someone beside you telling you to keep going. Someone who is reminding you why you started. Someone who knows you and knows your weaknesses. Without that person, you will allow the negative thoughts to seep back in, and in turn, fall off the proverbial wagon.
If you're a person who just hates exercise and you really would like to just do the bare minimum to stay somewhat healthy, then a gym may actually be a good option for you, however your twice a week eliptical, is still not cutting it. Get up and move around. Try new things and maybe even *gasp* go in the weight room!

On the other hand, if you DO like exercising and need a boost or kick in the pants, but personal training isn't in the budget, I urge you to consider trying an at home program with a coach.

If you're interested in kicking the gym thing to the curb (or you already have!), message me and we can chat. I would love to set you up with an accountability partner or be your coach.

No comments

Post a Comment