June 30, 2014

Welcome to my blog!

I started this blog as a way to document my journey to a happy and healthy life.  The health industry, the food industry and society has set labels to help people identify themselves and fit into a cookie cutter mold. My concern with this is simply that we do not all always fit perfectly in said mold. For years I suffered from pain and illness due to certain foods I would eat.  I tried every "diet" possible and found it so hard to stick to such strict guidelines.  And when I failed, I felt so defeated.  My diet and fitness level effected me in many ways.  It effected me physically with pain, illness and a general feel of un-wellness.  I didn't like who I was and had become. It also effected me mentally and emotionally. I became depressed and suffered from anxiety. I spent years in this state of mind feeling hopeless and not knowing how to be happy each day. I felt like I had done everything I knew of to help myself and nothing worked.

Fitness:
When I found running, it was a way to have some time to myself, away from the kids and away from the never ending demands of life.  Over 2 years ago I set a goal to run a half marathon, 13.1 miles.  And I did it! I didn't do well, but I finished and that was my goal.  Since then I've continued to log miles as my main form of exercise.

Food:
I've continued to eat somewhat healthy (no fast food, nothing with crazy ingredients from a box) and maintain a life that is livable.  But I'm at a point where I don't just want "livable".  I want to thrive.  So I am on a journey to find what works!  For me. Throughout this trek I have found many of the foods that make me sick and those that make me happy. I'm learning to utilize food in the way in which was intended: as medicine.  "Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food." - Hippocrates

No comments

Post a Comment